Wellness + Support
Pursing fertility treatment can be an incredibly rewarding but also an incredibly stressful process. So many unknowns, so much testing and time spent waiting and wondering what will happen next. A growing body of evidence has suggested that mindfulness-based interventions are effective in improving psychological distress and quality of life measures in men and women undergoing fertility treatments. Simple practices such as breathing techniques, positive affirmations, acupuncture, guided imagery and meditation have shown positive results. Please use the links below for access to a variety of resources. One breath at a time. You are not alone on this journey.
Mini-Relaxation techniques consist of focused breathing exercises that can help reduce anxiety and tension immediately, and they can be done anywhere!
These apps offer:
- COGNITIVE TECHNIQUES: How to replace a negative thought with a positive thought
- BEHAVIORAL TECHNIQUES: While you cannot control what’s going on around you, you can control how you respond to external circumstances
- FINDING THE HUMOR: While infertility does not inspire joking or laughter, giving yourself permission to laugh out loud or find the humor in the everyday can be a powerful antidote to the stress and pain of infertility and its treatment.
- RELAXATION: Guided meditations, breathing exercises to promote relaxation (as short as 90 seconds)
- SOCIAL SOLUTIONS: Common scenarios you may face with your partner on how to deal with insensitive people
- SELF-NURTURING: Treat yourself! To a manicure… massage… your favorite exercise class… good food…
Specialized local support groups
The Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is a proud partner of Resolve, a National Infertility Association that offers support groups led by professionals and peers. For more information, visit resolve.org.
Individual and/or couple’s counseling
Being diagnosed with infertility can be one of the most challenging life events an individual or couple experiences. Managing emotions related to medical treatment, the associated financial burden, numerous appointments and important decisions can be incredibly stressful and draining. Licensed counselors, therapists and psychiatrists play an integral role in helping manage the emotional roller coaster to develop coping mechanisms to improve quality of life and reduce anxiety. Please ask your provider for contact information today.
American Society for Reproductive Medicine Resources: